Grant approval will be based on funding capacity and prioritization against our areas of focus. Emphasis will be placed on evidence-based outcomes and impact supported by metrics.
To be eligible for consideration by The H.S. Lopez Family Foundation, projects must be sponsored by a not-for-profit, tax-exempt 501(c)(3) organization or association. Projects must have the support of appropriate organizations and/or government units and in the community where the project is to be carried out. The following criteria have been established by the Board of Directors of The H.S. Lopez Family Foundation.
The grant project must:
- Align with one of the key focus areas: education, health, or welfare.
- Reasonably ensure sustainability after involvement by The H.S. Lopez Family Foundation.
- Involve active participation by the sponsor which must be a not-for-profit, tax-exempt 501(c)(3) organization, institution, or association.
- Indemnify liability to The H.S. Lopez Family Foundation beyond provision of the grant.
Grant applications must NOT:
- Benefit a Director or employee of The H.S. Lopez Family Foundation; or a spouse, a lineal descendent (child or grandchild by blood or any legally adopted child), a spouse of a lineal descendant, or an ancestor (parent or grandparent by blood) of any living Director or employee of The H.S. Lopez Family Foundation.
- Duplicate any existing Foundation grant.
- Involve the purchase of land or payment of general administrative costs for the sponsoring organization.
- Involve the establishment of a permanent foundation or trust or a permanent interest-bearing account, or involve support for the general operating costs of any organization.
- Involve any of the following: Carrying on propaganda or otherwise attempt to influence legislation. Restrict the services or facilities or employment provided by the grant to individuals based on race, creed, color, sex, or national origin.
Additional Grant Making Guidelines:
The Process of Submission and Review
Step one of the submission process is to submit a ONE-PAGE cover sheet with the following information:
- Name, address, telephone, and fax numbers of your organization
- Name, title, and telephone number of your contact person
- Brief description of your organization and mission
- Amount requested
- Executive summary of proposed work with outcomes to be measured
Based on the review of the above submission, The H.S. Lopez Foundation will contact applicants with a request for full proposals which MUST contain:
- A full description of the purpose of the grant and expected accomplishments.
- A detailed budget showing how the grant funds would be spent within the project budget.
- Financial statements of actual revenue and expenses of your organization for the previous fiscal year, and a balance sheet (need not be audited).
- A copy of your IRS determination letter, or an explanation of your tax-exempt status.
- A list of foundations who have made grants in the previous fiscal year, and the amount.
- Additional information, such as brochures, newsletters, or annual reports may be submitted.